- 1 small cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1-2 spring onions, thinly chopped olive oil
For the bowl
- 7-8 olives
- 1/3 cup chickpeas, canned, rinsed & drained
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp tzatziki
- 2-3 tbsp quinoa, cooked
- black pepper, freshly ground
How to make it
Wash the vegetables, chop them, place in a mixing bowl.
Add olive oil, vinegar, and salt to taste.
Assemble your bowl: Salad, rinsed and drained chickpeas, the olives, quinoa. In the middle/on top: 2 tbsp hummus and 1 tbsp tzatziki + freshly ground black pepper.
Having trouble staying motived with the warm weather here?
Here are 5 tips to keep your summer workout fresh
1. Plan. Set a schedule and stick to it. If you plan a consistent time to workout and add it to your calendar and set reminders the odds of you working out are much greater.
2. Grab a workout buddy. Have someone who can hold you accountable for your workouts and healthy eating choices.
3. Go outside and enjoy the warm weather. There are plenty of ways to stay active and enjoy the summer at the same time. Go for a bike ride, a swim, or even try a fun outdoor class.
4. Make June the new January. Reevaluate and recommit to the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of the year. Whether you’re starting fresh or just keeping up the good work, make the summer season part of the healthy lifestyle you want to build.
5. Don’t let summer takeover. Enjoy the BBQs, the pool parties, but don’t overindulge. It’s ok to have fun and cheat a little on your diet but don’t let summer take away all of your hard work!
1. Stop hitting the snooze button. Hitting the snooze button repeatedly might feel so good, getting that extra 10, 20, 30 minutes of sleep, but it is actually messing up your sleep quality. Breaking that habit is a sure way to kick that groggy feeling in the morning
2. Eat Breakfast. There are COUNTLESS benefits to eating breakfast, but most important, eating breakfast gives you energy and cognitive function for your productive day ahead
3. Stretch. Stretching first thing in the morning can be as good as your morning cup of coffee. It wakes up your muscles, allowing for full mobility and range which will help muscle function and develop good muscle structure.
4. Drink Water. Drinking 16oz of water with lemon first thing when you wake up kick starts your metabolism, hydrates you and helps flush the toxins out of your body.
How to Survive BBQ Season while Sticking To Your Regiment
By Amanda Robar, Premium PT & BootCamps
For most of us, summer becomes a difficult time to stay on track with our fitness goals. There are a lot of BBQs, pool parties, camping trips or family outings.
Many people even give up altogether over the summer and tell themselves, “I will start back up in September”. We see this all the time at our facility; clients wanting to downgrade their Personal Training Membership or pause their account over the summer.
Here are some helpful tips on how to stay on track over the summer so that you are not starting from square one again in September. Taking time off every summer only leads to a vicious cycle of losing and gaining weight. This can get very discouraging and can cause us to lose motivation altogether.
Remember that consistency is the key to staying on track!
Healthy Food Options: Make sure there are healthier options at gatherings, and if there aren’t, bring some food with you, such as chicken to throw on the BBQ instead of having hamburgers and hot dogs. You could also bring a healthy salad, or a veggie platter. Stick to your protein and veggies during the BBQ, and try to limit the amount of carbs.
Social Cocktails: Many of us like to have drinks at social events. A few good options for alcoholic beverages, with fewer calories, sugar and carbs, are: vodka with soda water and lime, or a small amount of wine and with a carbonated, flavoured water. These options keep the calories and sugar-intake low and wont make you feel deprived. Try to avoid the sugary coolers, beer, and sugary juice mixes.
Keep Exercising: We all need exercise in our lives for its many health benefits. Summer should be the best time to stay on track with exercise. We have longer days with more sunlight, and beautiful weather which means you can exercise outdoors. There are so many options to choose from: biking, hiking, walking, jogging, swimming, skipping, and even doing body weight exercises outdoors such as lunges, squats, push ups, sit ups, planks, and more.
Join a group BootCamp: Joining a local BootCamp is one of the most affordable and effective ways to reach your fitness goals in a group atmosphere. You will have the direction and workout from a Certified Personal Trainer, a diet plan and the coaching you may need along the way, and you can meet other like-minded individuals.
Most importantly, Don’t Stop: Keep moving forward toward your goals and don’t let the summer season hold you back from becoming the best version of you. Once summer is over, you will be happy that you are not starting from square one!
For more information, please contact us at (905) 392-0708
Try Out Amanda Fat Burning, Body Sculpting, Full Body Work Out.
You can do this work out anywhere you like using your own body weight.
Complete each exercise in a row with no breaks. After each full circuit (10 exercises) Take a 30 second-1 Minute rest.
1) Air Squats
2) Push ups
3) Alternating lunges
4) High plank opposite shoulder taps
5) Jump squats
6) Tricep dips or push ups
7) Mountain Climbers
10) Leg Lifts or Reverse Crunches
11) Bonus exercise if you have the space- Sprint for 30 seconds as fast as you can before taking your rest.
Try to complete this 3 times per week to stay in shape over the summer and keep up with your fitness regiment.
Remember to do a full body stretch after completing the work out while your muscles are still warm.
If you have any questions regarding these exercises or how to stay fit over the summer, feel free to fill out one of our contact forms or contact us at (905) 392-0708.
Have a wonderful and healthy summer!
Prenatal & Postnatal Personal Training
Stay in awesome shape during and after your pregnancy. Many people are advised by their doctors to rest during pregnancy or stay off their feet and take it easy. For most woman this is a scary thing to do as we all know that we will be gaining weight during the pregnancy.
A woman should only gain approximately 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. Many woman gain 60 plus pounds during pregnancy and this is for two reasons;
1) Not exercising during pregnancy
2) Over eating during pregnancy
We only need an additional 300 calories during pregnancy. Think about how easy it is to consume over 300 calories.
The problem with gaining all this unhealthy weight during pregnancy is, once the weight is on, it will be that much harder to lose it with a baby to take care of, limited time in the day and our hormones being off balance.
There are many different health benefits for mom and baby with staying fit during and after your pregnancy.
Benefits for MOM
– Increased Maternal Aerobic Fitness
– Reduced Body Fat and Weight Gain during pregnancy
– Helps facilitate Labour
– Helps prevent gestational diabetes
– Improves circulation
– Improves posture and muscular balance
– Improves core strength
– Prevent Diastasis Recti
– Assists with Postpartum Recovery
– Fetal Heart rate response
– Reduces fetal stress during labour
Enjoy these healthy No bake- Protein Balls
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup natural nut butter
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 1/2 cup flaxseed (optional)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder