How to Survive BBQ Season while Sticking To Your Regiment
By Amanda Robar, Premium PT & BootCamps
For most of us, summer becomes a difficult time to stay on track with our fitness goals. There are a lot of BBQs, pool parties, camping trips or family outings.
Many people even give up altogether over the summer and tell themselves, “I will start back up in September”. We see this all the time at our facility; clients wanting to downgrade their Personal Training Membership or pause their account over the summer.
Here are some helpful tips on how to stay on track over the summer so that you are not starting from square one again in September. Taking time off every summer only leads to a vicious cycle of losing and gaining weight. This can get very discouraging and can cause us to lose motivation altogether.
Remember that consistency is the key to staying on track!
Healthy Food Options: Make sure there are healthier options at gatherings, and if there aren’t, bring some food with you, such as chicken to throw on the BBQ instead of having hamburgers and hot dogs. You could also bring a healthy salad, or a veggie platter. Stick to your protein and veggies during the BBQ, and try to limit the amount of carbs.
Social Cocktails: Many of us like to have drinks at social events. A few good options for alcoholic beverages, with fewer calories, sugar and carbs, are: vodka with soda water and lime, or a small amount of wine and with a carbonated, flavoured water. These options keep the calories and sugar-intake low and wont make you feel deprived. Try to avoid the sugary coolers, beer, and sugary juice mixes.
Keep Exercising: We all need exercise in our lives for its many health benefits. Summer should be the best time to stay on track with exercise. We have longer days with more sunlight, and beautiful weather which means you can exercise outdoors. There are so many options to choose from: biking, hiking, walking, jogging, swimming, skipping, and even doing body weight exercises outdoors such as lunges, squats, push ups, sit ups, planks, and more.
Join a group BootCamp: Joining a local BootCamp is one of the most affordable and effective ways to reach your fitness goals in a group atmosphere. You will have the direction and workout from a Certified Personal Trainer, a diet plan and the coaching you may need along the way, and you can meet other like-minded individuals.
Most importantly, Don’t Stop: Keep moving forward toward your goals and don’t let the summer season hold you back from becoming the best version of you. Once summer is over, you will be happy that you are not starting from square one!
For more information, please contact us at (905) 392-0708
Try Out Amanda Fat Burning, Body Sculpting, Full Body Work Out.
You can do this work out anywhere you like using your own body weight.
Complete each exercise in a row with no breaks. After each full circuit (10 exercises) Take a 30 second-1 Minute rest.
1) Air Squats
2) Push ups
3) Alternating lunges
4) High plank opposite shoulder taps
5) Jump squats
6) Tricep dips or push ups
7) Mountain Climbers
10) Leg Lifts or Reverse Crunches
11) Bonus exercise if you have the space- Sprint for 30 seconds as fast as you can before taking your rest.
Try to complete this 3 times per week to stay in shape over the summer and keep up with your fitness regiment.
Remember to do a full body stretch after completing the work out while your muscles are still warm.
If you have any questions regarding these exercises or how to stay fit over the summer, feel free to fill out one of our contact forms or contact us at (905) 392-0708.
Have a wonderful and healthy summer!
Prenatal & Postnatal Personal Training
Stay in awesome shape during and after your pregnancy. Many people are advised by their doctors to rest during pregnancy or stay off their feet and take it easy. For most woman this is a scary thing to do as we all know that we will be gaining weight during the pregnancy.
A woman should only gain approximately 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. Many woman gain 60 plus pounds during pregnancy and this is for two reasons;
1) Not exercising during pregnancy
2) Over eating during pregnancy
We only need an additional 300 calories during pregnancy. Think about how easy it is to consume over 300 calories.
The problem with gaining all this unhealthy weight during pregnancy is, once the weight is on, it will be that much harder to lose it with a baby to take care of, limited time in the day and our hormones being off balance.
There are many different health benefits for mom and baby with staying fit during and after your pregnancy.
Benefits for MOM
– Increased Maternal Aerobic Fitness
– Reduced Body Fat and Weight Gain during pregnancy
– Helps facilitate Labour
– Helps prevent gestational diabetes
– Improves circulation
– Improves posture and muscular balance
– Improves core strength
– Prevent Diastasis Recti
– Assists with Postpartum Recovery
– Fetal Heart rate response
– Reduces fetal stress during labour
Enjoy these healthy No bake- Protein Balls
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup natural nut butter
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 1/2 cup flaxseed (optional)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
Combine all ingredients together. Roll into ball. Chill in the fridge. Enjoy!!!
Have you been trying to reach your fitness goals without any success?
Do you give up when you are not seeing the results you want?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then read on to learn about goal setting, the importance of consistency, as well as diet & exercise tips that will help you to be successful in reaching your 2017 fitness goals.
1. Write down your fitness goals: When writing down your fitness goals for 2017, the main thing to look at and understand is: WHY? Why are these your specific fitness goals? Do you want to feel and look better? Do you want more energy to play with your kids? Do you want to decrease your chances of getting sick? Having a why behind your fitness goals will help prevent you from giving up or missing sessions at the gym. Any time you want to give up, ask yourself: “Why did I start this?” Those emotional connections will help keep you on track.
2. Set a timeframe: Making a realistic timeframe is very important to your success. Set short-term and long-term goals so you can see the results as you go. For example: If a 100lb weight loss is my long-term goal, I will reach my goal within one year. My short-term goal is to lose 6-10 pounds every 6 weeks. Staying focused on achieving the short-term goals will help you towards the bigger picture.
3. Be consistent with your fitness regime and diet: Being inconsistent is one of the main reasons people are not successful in reaching their goals. Begin with 3 days a week in the gym and slowly increase to 4 days and 5 days in 6-8 week increments. Stick to your plan and make no excuses. This is a commitment you have made to yourself, and your health, so mark it on the calendar just like any other appointment.
4. Diet is 70%, Exercise is 30%: This means you MUST change your diet and make healthy food choices if you want to see results in the gym. Too often I see clients skipping breakfast, eating too many carbs, not eating enough protein and not eating enough throughout the day. Not eating slows down your metabolism and causes weight gain. Focus on eating nutritious foods at the right times.
5. Create a well-rounded workout: Make sure that your fitness program includes strength training, cardio, core strengthening and flexibility (stretching at the end of your work out). Many people only do cardio at the gym. Strength training is equally, if not more, important than doing cardio. This will increase your metabolism, strengthen your bones and muscles, help your body burn calories throughout the day, and will give your body a toned look.
6. Be patient: Results do not happen over night so stick to the plan and be patient. If you need help reaching your 2017 fitness goals or have any fitness-related health questions or concerns, contact me any time via email email@example.com
Here’s to Health & Happiness in 2017, let’s make this year the best one yet!
I am a tall and curvy girl that has always been active but has also always struggled with a few extra pounds. I have tried a couple of fitness programs and boot camps in the past and usually saw the very minimal 5lb lose, got my hopes up but then was stuck in weight lose limbo. I would lose interest and then I would start making excuses and that would be the end of that.
The day I found out I was pregnant was the happiest day of my life. The first thought in my head was of course “yay!! baby!!” and then I thought I finally have an excuse to sit and lounge around and eat whatever wanted to because I was pregnant. No one would dare say anything about gaining weight to an emotional mom to be. Days went by and I talked to more and more moms and the most common thing I heard about was the amount of weight they gained and how they could never get that mommy weight off no matter what they did. The more I thought about it, the more unhappy I felt about the inevitable weight gain. I thought to myself if I was already unhappy with the extra 20lbs i had to lose now, how would I feel giving birth and having an extra 20-60lbs to lose on top of that. I told my fiance my thoughts and he just wanted me to be happy and just like it was meant to be, he mentioned that a girl he went to school with had just opened her new gym and was certified in pre and post natal fitness programs.
I talked with my doctor about working out during my pregnancy and she was a little hesitant but I had done some research about being active during pregnancy and found only positive results if done safely. I was eight weeks pregnant when I made an appointment to meet with Amanda and have a consult. Amanda was very thorough and really knew what she was talking about. she went over specific things about working out during pregnancy, it didn’t just feel like a generic “get to know you and your fitness goals” talk. She was very friendly and really seemed like she loved being a personal trainer. I felt welcomed into her studio and could already tell that we wouldn’t just have a regular trainer/trainee relationship. I felt comfortable and knew that I would finally enjoy working out and would feel good about what I was doing for myself and my baby.
The initial baseline workout was tough, I had never felt this bad of a burn from just doing some lunges, squats, push-ups and sit-ups but I wasn’t going to give up this time. I was committed to staying active and healthy during my pregnancy. I knew that my baby and I would reap the benefits of this momentary pain.
I started seeing Amanda twice a week, and felt the best I had felt in a very long time, even being pregnant. I breezed through my first trimester with no morning sickness or any other usual symptoms. I felt energetic and always looked forward to my workouts with Amanda. All my workouts were mainly consisted of body weight exercises that really targeted my legs and upper body, because I was pregnant I couldn’t do many of the traditional core workouts but that didn’t stop Amanda from making me do a lot of planks!
By the end of pregnancy i had only gained 10lbs, i was ecstatic because I felt such a difference in my body. I could see definition and tone in my legs and arms. I was so happy with the results. During my times with Amanda she would also remind me about my breathing and how to use it to push through the pain of an exercise and that piece of advise stuck with me through my labor and delivery. I felt great right after the birth of my daughter and I can definitely say Amanda had a huge part in that. And the icing on the cake was that I had actually lost 30lbs, (the 10 that I had gained during my pregnancy and 20 of my pre pregnancy weight).
Two months after my daughter was born I was back at Amanda’s working out. I didn’t make any excuses, my daughter would have to come with me for the hour most times but Amanda and her new employee Jess loved getting to see her. They made it easy to transition back into working out. I have nothing but good things to say about premium personal training. Amanda made my pre and post natal body feel great. I have never had such great results in any fitness program that I have done. She really knows what she’s doing and you can tell she loves what she does and the feeling she gets when she has such a positive impact on peoples lives.
Looking to start a fitness routine?
Not sure where to start or proper exercises to do?
Intimidated by bigger gyms?
Is Personal Training out of budget for you?
A Fitness Boot Camp Program may be perfect for you!!
Fitness Boot Camp at Premium Personal Training are run by a fully Certified Personal Trainer and are in small groups of only 8 people max. This is beneficial because you are basically getting Personal Training but with a group of people.
You will still learn proper form and technique of all the exercises. If you have any injuries or limitations, the trainer can still work with you and give you proper modifications to ensure you are still getting a good work out and are working the correct muscles.
The Boot Camps are for all fitness levels. We have anyone from beginners to advanced clients in the programs.
Benefits of Our Fitness Boot Camp
- Meet other people in the program, making exercise a fun part of your day
- Full body work outs using weights and cardio
- Lots of circuit training which is great for fat burn & toning up that body
- Tons of core training in the program to increase core strength and stability
- One session is never the same. You will never get bored because you will always be learning new exercises and adding intensity to keep the body from plateauing
- Diet plan is provided with the program
- Guaranteed results: Weight loss, Tone up body, Build lean muscle, more energy, reduced body fat, stronger core, increased overall strength, learn proper form of exercises, increased confidence and self esteem, and get in the best shape of your life.